Local Government for Cobourg residents includes an upper tier: Northumberland County. Some services are provided by the County and not the Town and residents pay taxes to them as well as the Town (more on taxes here).
Northumberland County includes the following Towns/Townships (2021 population in brackets):
- Municipality of Trent Hills (13,861)
- Township of Alnwick/Haldimand (7,473)
- Municipality of Brighton (12,108)
- Town of Cobourg (20,519)
- Township of Cramahe (6,509)
- Township of Hamilton (11,059)
- Municipality of Port Hope (17,294)
The County is governed by a “Council” with members who are the Mayors of these municipalities. The Warden is elected by Councillors at the end of each calendar year. Also elected is a Deputy Warden who fills in with Warden duties if the Warden is not available.
County Council meetings are on the third Wednesday in the month at 9:30 am. The Calendar is here and the Agendas are here. Meetings are held in Council chambers at the County building at 555 Courthouse Road, Cobourg.
Note that since not all municipalities have the same population, when a "recorded vote" is called for, it will also be a weighted vote per the following: Alnwick Haldimand (2 votes); Brighton (4 votes); Cobourg (6 votes); Cramahe (2 votes); Hamilton (3 votes); Port Hope (5 votes); Trent Hills (4 votes). This will often happen with contentious issues.
Here are the Councillors for 2023
2023 Contact Information
- Warden, Mandy Martin - Cramahe -
- Deputy Warden, Brian Ostrander - Brighton -
- John Logel - Alnwick/Haldimand - 905-396-3152
- Lucas Cleveland - Cobourg -
- Scott Jibb - Hamilton - 905-342-3788
- Olena Hankivsky - Port Hope -
- Bob Crate - Trent Hills -
Services provided by the County are:
- Social Services (e.g. Welfare)
- Affordable and Subsidized housing
- Long Term Care - Golden Plough Lodge
- Major Roads and Bridges
- Waste Collection and Management
- Paramedics (Ambulance Service)
- Economic Development (also provided by Towns)
- Tourism (also provided by Towns)
- Forest Management
- Archive Management
Starting in 2021, Standing Committees have been established. These meet each month and are chaired by Councillors. Their role is to provide input to Council meetings from Staff - with a review. This is similar to Parliamentary committees. There are no citizens on Standing Committees,
Councillor Membership on Committees & Boards
Standing Committees - 2023
- Community Health Committee: Chair – Councillor Hankivsky; Committee Members – Councillor Cleveland and Warden Martin
- Corporate Support Committee: Chair – Councillor Crate; Committee Members – Councillor Jibb and Warden Martin
- Economic Development, Tourism, and Land Use Planning Committee: Chair – Deputy Warden Ostrander; Committee Members – Councillor Crate and Warden Martin
- Finance and Audit Committee: Chair – Councillor Cleveland; Committee Members – Deputy Warden Ostrander and Warden Martin
- Public Works Committee: Chair – Councillor Jibb; Committee Members – Councillor Logel and Warden Martin
- Social Services Committee: Chair – Councillor Logel: Committee Members – Councillor Hankivsky and Warden Martin.
- Brighton Landfill Liaison Committee – Deputy Warden Ostrander
- Canadian Association of Nuclear Host Communities – Councillor Cleveland
- Community Safety and Well-Being Collaborative Committee – Councillor Cleveland
- Northumberland County Agricultural Advisory Group – Councillor Jibb
- Northumberland Forest Advisory Committee – Warden Martin
- Ontario Health Team of Northumberland (OHT-N) Governance Advisory Council – Warden Martin.
Members of Boards
Northumberland County Housing Corporation: Deputy Warden Ostrander and Councillor Logel Directors for the 2022-2026 Term of Council.
Haliburton Kawartha Pine Ridge District Health Unit Board: Councillor Crate, Councillor Logel, and Councillor Hankivsky Board for the 2022-2026 Term of Council.
As well as Councillors, relevant staff will participate and citizens may make presentations. The County web site does not yet provide a way to request presenting at a meeting - contact the County Clerk for instructions.
Agendas and Schedules
The agendas for Council meetings and Committee meetings are on the County web site here. This page also has recent minutes and other information about Council meetings.
The schedule for all county meetings in 2023 is here. Note that Council meetings are at 9:30 am; morning committee meetings are at 9:00 am and afternoon committee meetings are at 1:00 pm.